Events/2021 Wikimedia Wikimeet India
- Description: Presentations on Lingualibre recording contribution, and on Github opensource assets.
- Place: Zoom > https://zoom.us/j/97614383815?pwd=OW9QazdjeVFaOTF1VXQxZ0U2ZkpCUT09
- Time: 2021/02/19-21 > Sunday 21: 13h25 UTC/14h25 UTC+1.
- Organisation: Indian Wikipedia
- Presenters: User:Adélaïde Calais WMFr, user:Poslovitch, User:Yug.
- Participants: ~60 watchers, largely Indians leading contributors, movement leaders and developers.
- Outcome: outreach successful, to continue.
- Review & improvements: continue work on the presentation. Some proposals here.
- Program: meta:Wikimedia_Wikimeet_India_2021/Program
- Place: Zoom.us with pre-conference trial session.
- Checklist: meta:Wikimedia_Wikimeet_India_2021/Checklist
- Telegram group for presenters: https://t.me/joinchat/VJ78lQaYYQTDK_Dh
- Other forms of communication: firstname.lastname@example.org (Indian Standard Time, UTC+0530 hours).
Presentation was mainly in 4 sections :
- Lingualibre : why & what. By Adelaide.
- Lingualibre : how to contribute / demonstration. By Adelaide.
- Lingualibre Technical side : Generalities. By Yug.
- Lingualibre Technical side : LinguaLibre:Bot roles and request process. By Poslovitch.
- Q&A. By team.
|Repository||Technologies (Stack)||Definition and impact|
|Lingua-Libre-Bot||Python, autorization||Spread 400,000 audios in your wiki|
|RecordWizard||JS, VueJS, CSS, PHP MW-module||Mediawiki UI module to record audios/video (sign language)|
|LinguaRecorder||JS, NodeJS||Js library controlling audio recordings|
|SignIt||JS, OOJS-UI, CSS, NodeJS||Helps teach sign language|
|QueryViz (not presented)||SparQL||Helps extract data, files, meaning from Lili|
Here are possible improvements.
- Remind possible usages : Wikimedia Websites, Language preservation, Language learning, Natural language processing (text2speech, speech2text)
- The basics: this is a "recording project". We currently focus on words, but we can think and expand to more orality and knowledge related services.
- (Was so complete and systematic ! Merci Adélaide !)
- by default, the limit is
380 every three days380 per 72mins. for newly created accounts and normal accounts. See LinguaLibre:User_rights#User_rights_on_LinguaLibre for details. But! 380/hour for 4 days old accounts and an easy process to raise this significantly.
- When you change the "stop threshold"
5to record sentences, I think (?) it's the volume level under which the audio will stop. So we have to move it down if you want longer audios.
- The "silence length" should be the single element to change.
Technical side :
- Add lingualibre.org/datasets/ & talk about external usages
- Remind possible usages : Wikimedia websites via bots, Language learning apps, Natural language processing (text2speech, speech2text).
- Referees on nearly each repository
- Welcome volunteer devs
- "We think about more features and improvements that we can develop" (therefore we need devs). See Phabricator.
- RecordWizard : a point on the Video recording variation.
- Do we have a long term strategy. What is our development vision (it's redundant with Adelaide request to define a long term )
- Improve calls for action and when we write/say them. "Come and try it out".
- Visually thanks the community. (nothing in the slides)
- A final slide with the Recording Wizard recording button's screenshot.
Content Translation Tool
Lead by the WMF's Language team. See mw:Wikimedia Language engineering, meta:Category:Language research & meta:Research:Section_Translation_Design_Research.
- Hugo: Do Content Translations organizes IRL "Translathon" and collaboration with language universities ? Any feedbacks on such event ? what are the key element to kickstart such event ? -- Q by fr:Yug
- Amir: We are a product development team: we design and development software features, and we don't organize events in our Wikimedia Foundation capacity. However, many chapters and individual community members organize such events, in many countries and for many languages. Some tips about organizing such events can be found at this link: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Best_practices_for_Content_Translation_events
- Runa: We did a survey last year in partnership with an editathon event in India (https://outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/courses/CT_University/Syberthon_2020_Indian_Languages/home) to understand how newer editors interacted with Content Translation. The report is here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Content_Translation_Newcomer_Survey,_India_2020 .